Dubbed the millennial’s beauty tool of choice, the facial tool is said to boost circulation and increase product absorption.
Our face has 43 muscles. And, just like the rest of the body, releasing our facial muscles requires some technique. Gua Sha tackles the fascia, a fibroelastic membrane that covers the muscles and is composed of connective tissue rich in collagen fibres.
When used on the skin, a Gua Sha tool relieves any blockages in the facial muscles, leading to a more optimal circulation’ reveals.
How to Gua Sha your face: your 6 step guide
1. A well-oiled face is a must in order to get the tool to slide across skin. Start with 4 to 5 drops of facial oil or serum, then gently rub.
between your palms and press into your skin and neck.
2. If you're a beginner, it’s recommend starting at the jawline, it’s a good place to begin to get comfortable with your tool. Angle the tool at 45 degrees, making sure it’s hugging your jawline then work the Gua Sha tool from the chin to the ear.
3. Using the same technique, run the Gua Sha across cheekbones to your ear. Next, apply the smaller corner at the inner corner of your eye. Sweep the Gua Sha along the eyebrow line towards the temple. Follow with using the Gua Sha just above the eyebrows and work the tool towards the hairline.
4. Don’t forget about your neck. ‘This needs taking care of just as much as your face. Starting at the center of your neck, glide the Gua Sha along and across the neck towards the chin.
5. To finish take the oil down to your décolletage. ‘The skin here is delicate and often exposed to the same things the face so deserves some love . Drop your shoulders down and back and engage the core and diaphragm so your chest is standing proud.
6. Then, with the long side of your tool, start from the center of the sternum, and glide slowly following the line of the collarbone all the way to the armpit. This again will release tension, boost circulation and assist with drainage as you have lymph nodes in your armpits.
How to clean your Gua Sha Tool
After and before each use, we recommend using a soft microfiber cloth to wipe gua sha tool clean to prevent the spreading of any bacteria onto your skin. For a deeper cleanse, you can also dampen the cloth with soapy water (water + your cleanser) before wiping the tool.
You can dry gua sha using another dry cloth, or simply let it air dry.