Moving into a new home or office space is a perfect time to burn sage in order to clear the previous owner’s energy and set your own intention for the space. However, you can sage your home any time you feel called to, whether you want to energetically reset or just chill out a bit.
The most important part is to set an intention for the cleansing.
Ask yourself: What led you to believe a sage clearing ceremony is needed?
Then, say a prayer or invite your Spirit Guides and angels in. Ask your divine helpers to assist you in purifying the energy in your home.
Tip: It is also good to open all your windows before you begin. This gives negative energy a place to exit, and allows fresh air to come in!
Light The Sage
Now, light your sage stick over the dish. You’ll want to create as much smoke and as little flame as possible. To get a nice stream of sage smoke going, blow lightly on the burning sage. Keep your bowl handy to collect any ash or falling sage leaves.
Purify yourself by directing the smoke towards your body, starting at your feet, up to your head, and then back down again.
Tip: You can use your hands or a feather to direct the smoke where you want it to go (just be careful of your eyes and nose).
- Start in one room and work from corner to corner. As you do, keep your intention in mind, and imagine pulling stale and negative energies from the corners. You can use your hands or a feather to direct the smoke where you want it to go (just steer clear of getting it in your eyes or nose).
- You can also include an incantation or prayer as you move through your home. Choose a simple affirmation that feels good in your heart, then, repeat it aloud or in your mind as you smudge. Intention is the power behind the ceremony, so use any loving words you like, such as:
- Bless and purify this home and all who enter
- Negative energy out, loving vibrations in
- Fill this home with light, love and positive energy
- Picture everything you want to let go of exiting your open windows. Some people recommend starting in a certain room of your home, front door. Pay close attention to unused areas of your home as they can collect stale energy. Take as much time as you need during this step and allow your intuition to really guide you.
- Be sure to give attention to dark places, corners, doorways, and heavy traffic areas. Allow the purifying smoke to clarify the energy.
- Sleep and work areas are good places to focus on, too.
Most of all, let your intuition guide you through the smudging ceremony. If you allow it, your intuition will help you feel what areas of your home need the most attention.
Ending the Smudging Ceremony
There are two ways to end the cleansing. Choose the option that feels best for you:
- Let it burn out naturally. Lay the sage stick in your fireproof dish and allow it to work itself out naturally. (Obviously, don’t leave it unattended.)
- Manually rub out your sage stick. Rub out the embers, then, bury the remaining sage and ashes to signify the finality of the negative energies that lived in your space. Imagine replanting them into the earth and recharging into new, positive energy.
When you are ready to perform your next sage cleansing, use fresh sage or smudge stick. Purify as often as you like and let your intuition guide you!